A Pay Run allows you to create multiple salary or timesheet based payroll transactions for multiple employees at a time, saving you time on entering individual payroll entries. Pay Runs also allow you to automatically email payslips and download an ABA file for banking. Even if you only have a couple of employees, creating a Pay Run can save you time.
Where: View > Pay Run
How to do a Pay Run
- Setup email template to be used for Pay Run if you don’t already have one using View > Templates > Select your Default Payroll Template (Or for new Saasu files, select the Cog icon > Settings > Templates > Payroll Email)
- Go to View > Pay Run and then click Add to setup a new Pay Run. Please note, that a “From” address in the email template is required for pay runs to email payslips to your employees.
- Assign employee(s) to your new Pay Run. Do this using the drop down in the Employee Details screen for each employee. To get to the Employee details screen choose View > Employees
- From this screen, for each Employee, update their default pay Tab. This will be used in each Pay Run except where you customise a pay in the Pay Runs using the “Next Pay” Icon.
- Update the next pay for customised pays. e.g. leave, commissions, one-off payments etc. To do this click the Next Pay icon in the Employee List for each employee you need to work on.
- Check the default pay tab for employees who have constant pay amounts and setup that do not use timesheets of have special payments occurring.
- Go to View > Pay Run and process the pays into draft mode. Once the draft is ready confirm the pays look correct using the PDF file generated to check the pays.
- Once you are happy with the draft you can process the pays to create/email payslips and generate the Bank Payment File ready for submission (supported in some Zones only).
Pay Run Date
IMPORTANT: The Transaction Date you use will be the date that appears on your bank file. In most cases, this will be the date the bank will process the pay and may not hit your employees bank account until the following day if clearing is overnight. So, for this reason, the “transaction date” is not necessarily the date the money will appear in your employees bank account (where you use the bank file to process payments). To work out which day this is you will need to speak to you bank about their cutoff times each day for receipt of payment requests. Also take into consideration the time and business days it takes to clear funds into different banks as each bank differs.
To create a Pay Group:
- Go to Views > Pay Run and use the Add link to create a new Pay Group.
- When the screen is available, define the Pay Group details and then save.
Note these details are used for all the members you will add to this Pay Group. The idea being that you would add people to this Pay Group if they are all paid in a similar way.
- Add employees to the Pay Group by going to each employee’s setup screen by choosing View > Employees. Select the Pay Group you just created from the Pay Group drop down list in the screen provided before saving.
Pre Pay Run Tasks
- Go to View > Bank Accounts > select the bank account that pays are paid from to ensure your BSB and Account Number are correct.
- Add everyone you need to the Pay Group. Open the employee details screen by choosing Payroll > Employees > Edit icon. Select the Pay Group you wish to add them to using the Pay Group drop down list and save these changes.
- Update any leave in your employees Next Pay tab. Choose Payroll > Employees > Next Pay icon.
- If emailing payslips ensure the employees email addresses are up to date.
- If mailing payslips ensure the employees postal addresses are up to date.
Pay Runs using Timesheets
If you use pay groups, you can use timesheets data to produce employee payroll transactions automatically. If you don’t have multiple employees, you can still use this feature by setting up a pay group and adding just one employee to it for processing a pay run.
- Select View > Payroll > Setup Pay Item.
- Add a new Wages and Salary pay item called Base Pay Hourly from Timesheet (for example).
- Tick Auto-fill hours from timesheet when creating payroll entry.
- Apply this new pay item to each employee where you wish to use timesheet data in Saasu to generate their pay transaction – When you do a pay run for the pay group it will take the timesheets from the pay period date range.
How do I create a draft Pay Run for checking
From the Pay Groups List screen click on the Pay Run icon next to Pay Group you want to process pays for. The Pay Run screen will appear allowing you to set the Pay Date before clicking the Generate Draft icon. If you haven’t missed any important details a draft PDF file will be created of each payroll transaction giving you the ability to check each pay. If info is missing it will generate a list of required amendments in order to retry processing the pay. Note that the messages will be there until you retry processing the pay even if you have fixed them.
How do adjust a complete Pay Run
See our detailed steps on Pay Run Adjustments.
How do I get the ABA Bank File and Payslip PDF
Click the Bank File icon to get you bank file for submission to an online banking website for payment processing. Click the PDF icon to view/open the PDF payslip bulk. These are the payslips you can mail when printed (they are also the same as those emailed when you set the Pay Group to email payslips).
How do I delete a Pay Run
A Payroll Approver can do this if required. We allow this in the event you need to re-run payroll for manifest error reasons or to change the processing date due to banking system downtime or closure. It also allows the reversal of an accidental approval. Using this feature deletes all payroll transactions that related to that Pay Run, so use it wisely.
What do I do after a Pay Run if I need to report via Single Touch Payroll to the ATO?
Once you have processed and approved your Pay Run, if you are required to send a STP report to the ATO, you can submit a Pay Event via the Single Touch Payroll report (View > Reports > Single Touch Payroll).